11 Foods that Make You Bloated
January 22, 2013
January 22, 2013
I didn’t even realize I was bloated, til I wasn’t!
As we’ve gone through the last two weeks of the Beachbody Ultimate Reset, I was amazed at how BLOATED I was and didn’t even know it. I knew I wasn’t as lean as I was before, but I couldn’t quite put my finger on why. I also noticed that I had hit a plateau and no matter how hard I worked out, I couldn’t break through!
Bloated From Processed Foods
I learned through the Reset exactly what processed foods were doing to me and how bad they were for my digestion. I realized how much sodium and processed sugars were in the foods that we were eating.
The problem with processed foods is that they are made with a great deal of salt. Salt is a food preservative. Salt, and many other chemical compounds, give foods on the shelves in the supermarket such a long shelf life. Well, they apparently gave my extra padding a pretty decent shelf life as well. Which explained why I couldn’t bust through!
Now keep in mind, we DON’T EAT A LOT of processed foods, SO if I’m having issues with what little we consumed there’s no telling what the other 95% of Americans are going through… Actually there is, look around you at restaurants, monitor what people are eating. This can be a very eye-opening passage of time. You may be shocked at how little red and green you’ll see on the plates. My bet is you’ll see what I see; a lot of brown and yellow (and I don’t mean squash, that’s a good yellow).
Remember if man grows it without nature or makes it…. it’s a processed food!
This theory is pretty much the thinking of the Paleo diet which I talked about in this Paleo post I wrote recently. I’m also seriously considering trying it out after the Reset.
Food Intolerance is something you develop over time as your digestive enzymes decrease. Hello Shakeology! That’s one thing I can say Shakeology has done for me, keep my enzymes in check as well as cholesterol.
Keep a food journal if you’re not sure what foods cause the bloating. For us it was like a crash course with the Reset because it just phased them cold turkey (at least the processed stuff), the meat and dairy was next.
That doesn’t mean you have to give up meat completely, just see how different types of meat affect you. Maybe red meat is worse for you than others. Again, I’d bet it goes back to all the crap in processed foods.
11 Common Food Types That Cause Bloating
1. PROCESSED Foods
2. Carbonated beverages, gum and candy. You know if this is a problem. Once in a while isn’t going to kill you.
3. Artificial Sweeteners. In most cases real sugar is better for you than this crap.
4. Some veggies to monitor: Beans, potatoes, Brussels sprouts, lentils, broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, and collard greens, contain complex sugars and starches that are hard to break down. Eat your vegetables cooked or lightly steamed instead of raw which helps break down some of the fiber aiding digestion.
5. Fruits like bananas, apples, pears and dried raisins.
6. Wheat Products. I’ve found this to be true on the Reset as well.
8. Dairy Products. This was HUGE for me! When I cut out 98% of dairy, I lost 10 LBS!
9. Frozen Dinners.
10. Sugar-Free Desserts. If they have sugar alcohol such as mannitol, maltitol or sorbitol
11. Spicy Foods. I love mexican food as much as anyone but too much is not a good thing. Also monitor the BBQ sauce, tomato sauce and vinegar. They all stimulate a stomach acid which can cause you irritation.
I’m not saying you can’t cheat a little here and there. I do. What I’m saying is try to contain the cheat to 10-15% of your daily/weekly diet MAX. Don’t let that 10-15% grow into 20-25%. If it does grow you’ll notice what I did, that little sneaky fat in your belly start to grow and you won’t realize it until it’s too late. But then again, you can always do an ULTIMATE RESET like I did.
Notice any foods that are making you feel bloated? Let us know in the comments below!